Friday, June 8, 2007

One year ago today

It's hard to believe that one year ago today, I brought Brittanie home from the shelter. She was so tiny and fragile looking. How was I going to do this? Take care of someone elses baby girl? But even before they placed her in my arms, there was a battle going on for her.

Marcia and Carmen at Kids in Distress told me about all the medications and precautions that she needed. The doctor signed her chart, "Failure to thrive." It sounded daunting for a first time foster parent. But I felt the Lord telling me, "Say yes to this one." The ladies left me to call Mike to verify that we could take in a medically needy child and the whole time the verse from Matthew 25 played over and over in my head. "If you do it unto the least of these, my brethren, you do it unto me." I prayed with Mike over the phone and then I called Carin. She encouraged me and out of the blue left me with the same verse. That was all the confirmation I needed. As we were going to pick up the baby, Marcia said "You are going to fall in love with her." Well, they were right. She was in a room all by herself - quarantined and as soon as they put her in my arms, I felt at peace. She looked like a little Indian princess.

Those first days were tough - setting the alarm every 6 hours to give her Retrovir. But after 6 weeks of that, she only needed meds 3 times a week. And now a year later, she is a healthy, happy one year old, full of fun and laughter and joy. She is the light of our lives. It was one year ago today, Lord.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

="http://hugsnkisses.typepad.com/hugsfromhelen/stitchers.html" target="_blank">